Hey there! How are you and how was your weekend? Ours was jam packed full of fall goodness – it was great!!

The Bub and I got some more Halloween decorating done on Saturday, including this project I’m sharing today. It’s a super simple one that almost turned into a fail…but I’ve come around and I think I love it even more now!

It all started with Pinterest. Are you surprised? I saw this mummy door idea weeks ago and knew I wanted to try it out. We put our own little spin on it and it turned out so cute!

I just took some white crepe paper from the dollar store (they came two to a pack and I ended up using two packs) and just took strips of it to wrap around the front door.

I taped it on the sides of the door and it was time consuming but easy. The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to keep all three animals from escaping while I had the door open. They think they are sneaky like ninjas but I caught them every time…but it did make this project take longer than it would for you I’m sure. ;)

Anyway, I forgot to take pictures of this part because I was so focused on the escapees but it’s pretty self explanatory. After the door was wrapped I knew I wanted to make a cute face for our mummy, so I grabbed some poster boards to make the eyes and a mouth:

I traced our Whirley Pop for the eyes and just hand drew a cute, wonky smile free hand.

We left for the day after we finished and for some reason I had this urge to take a picture of it – not sure why, I just thought to myself “just in case”:

crepe paper mummy door

I zoomed in on him as we drove off and I’m glad I got a before shot. ;)

I haven’t even done my normal corn stalks and mums on the porch like usual yet – my sis’s wedding has kind of taken over this fall. Now I don’t know if I’ll do them or skip right over to the Christmas garland. ;)

Anyway, SO CUTE right??

So cute.

I loved the mummy door. Well, we came home that night and I about cried. The crepe paper had loosened up with the night air and drooped like crazy:

crepe paper mummy door

I was SO upset! But the longer I looked, the more I realized he still looked cute. And the longer we keep him up the more I love him. Even hubs said he likes the droopy mummy better cause he looks more like a real mummy. ;)

The bottom strands kind of catch under the door now, but I think it will be OK till Halloween. I was thisclose to just putting him up on an interior door, but at the last minute decided to go with the front door:

mummy door for halloweenYes, we need to rake. :)   

In the end I’m glad I did. Even though he’s droopy mummy now. :) Of course if your front door is exposed to the elements you’ll want to do this inside. Ours does not, it was just the wetter nighttime air that made the crepe paper loosen up.

What I thought was a fail is definitely growing on me. :) It took about an hour to put up and cost two bucks for the two packages of crepe paper. If you want to splurge on wider paper I think that would cut down on the time factor quite a bit. While I was doing it I was wishing my crepe was about double the width. I may try that next year. :)

We worked on a couple other Halloween projects this weekend too, I’ll share those soon! Have you decorated yet? We’re later than usual this year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top